Old and New

What's Up?

   Happy New Year everyone! What's up where you are? …probably not the temperature unless you live in the southern hemisphere right about now! We're in the midst of a cold winter--not unusually so--just seems that way to people with short attention spans and no appreciation of history. 
   I grew up reading Little House on the Prairie, and those blizzards out on the Great Plains were larger than life the way Laura wrote about them. I could picture Pa's whiskers with icicles, feel the blast of colder-than-ice air as he came in from the chores in the barn, and hear the wind clawing at the sod house. I shivered with Laura as she almost didn't make it home from school alive one time after a storm came up quickly.…I also remember watching television news in the '70s showing bundled Bostonians and Buffalonians digging out their cars in front of their houses. 
   I do not subscribe to the Climate Change/Global Warming hyperbole. I do subscribe to the journal Science and can refer Chicken Littles to any number of interesting research articles about man's effect--or rather ineffect--on the temperature of our planet. Just saying…
   ..and now I'll hop down off my soapbox. Speaking of which: I am resolved this year to get it out and step up on it. I've come to a point in my life that I can no longer be silent about what I see going on around me--no matter how politically incorrect the topic may be. I hope to inspire others to do the same. I think we'd all be better off if people started discussing and thinking about what's going on in a lot of places in our own countries, and around the world, take that a step further, and actually DO something. How many of us aren't even keeping an eye on our local goings-on? Are we checking out each night when we come home tired from work? Are our eyes looking down--at our electronic devices--instead of into those of our loved ones, friends, neighbors, and colleagues? And more importantly are we engaged as citizens? I am starting conversations around me. I'm finding people are ready--and even relieved to hear someone start talking. I think this could be good for all of us.
   So--plan on a conversation starter along with the cards--I think it might be interesting to see how it works out.

Comments