Old and New

Finer Art Friday: No-line Watercolor Technique vs. Blackline


    How's Life Friends?

   Today another fun blog feature is making its debut: Finer Art Friday! I'm hoping to inspire you to some finer art masters, schools, techniques, and history! Today is all about two techniques with the beautiful hummingbird in A Touch of Ink. Only two more days to place your $100 order to receive this stamp set FREE:) 

   In this first view I used the no-line watercolor technique. It's easy, it's fun, and it made me feel like a real watercolorist for about 20 minutes! Having worked with different pigments/brands of paints and inks I am very pleased with the vibrancy of our Stampin' Up!® colors and how well they stand up on our watercolor paper.

   To achieve this look I inked the hummingbird image with Sahara Sand and stamped it off on scrap to remove most of the ink, then stamped it on watercolor paper. Next I prepared my "palettes" by mashing my ink pads from the bottom so that they deposit a bit of ink on the case:





   Then I just started painting over the lines with water brush pens. I love the set Stampin' Up!® sells with the three different sizes and sturdy vinyl case. I used the smallest brush for this little masterpiece.

   I wanted the color to pop so I designed the rest of the card to be neutral but interesting with some embossed texture.

    For the contrasting technique I capitalized on the graphic, bold-color art style I am always drawn to in many of our local galleries.


   This image was stamped with Tuxedo Black Ink and colored with Stampin' Blends. Again I wanted the image to contrast so I stayed neutral with the background. This is intended for use as a sympathy card. 

   Nothing says hope to me quite like a hummingbird in flight. They are miraculous. [Check out the livestream link from this Wonderful Wednesday post!]


   Hope you found something inspiring to try today! Same stamp, two different looks. My favorite aspect of this artful hobby:) I can design to my heart's content.

   Be Well Friends!



Product List

Comments